The city of Forman was founded in 1884 by Colonel Cornelius Forman. Col. Forman came into ownership of land on which Forman now sits by claiming squatters rights for the required amount of time. When surveying was done and the Colonel saw that his land was in the center of Sargent County the township was called "Center Township" but was later changed to Forman.
Platting was done in the town beginning in 1883 with lots selling for as little as $50. Much of the land for the town was donated by Col. Forman. On these lots were built the Congregational Church, the school, and Courthouse. The city was offically recognized in 1884.
The Colonel was dedicated to the city of Forman and worked hard to make it a bustling hub in the county.